Mother’s Day pushed May’s meeting back an extra week, but it was well worth the wait. We saw some new faces and sampled thirteen delicious brews. Thanks to everyone who showed up, and see you next month!
– Derek W. was back and collected dues, sold t-shirts, and handed out Dark Matter.
– Jared passed out the experimental Saison yeast from Gigayeast. Thanks, Jared!
– We’ll be pouring at NCHF’s Hoppy Hour this year. This is a good chance to show off Sudzers’s best beers, so we’ll have a tasting the meeting before NCHF to determine what we’ll pour. Start thinking about what you want to brew!
– The Sudzers is teaming up with The Grain Trust to organize the Santa Clara County Fair homebrew competition. Derek W. sent out an e-mail with the info, so please let him know if you’re interested in helping to organize or judge.
– Sierra Nevada’s SF Beer Camp (http://www.beercamp.sierranevada.com/festivals/san-francisco/) is June 18th. Reach out to Tim T. if you’re interested in meeting up with other Sudzers.
– The California Craft Beer Summit is September 8-10. More info can be found at http://www.cacraftbeersummit.com/.
– Santa Cruz craft beer week is May 23-27. More info can be found at http://www.santacruzwaves.com/beerweek/.
– Congrats again to Charles for getting a first and second place at the first round of NHC!
– Sudzers Thirsty Third Thursday will be May 19th at Eureka in downtown Mountain View.
In all, we had thirteen brews:
BREWER BEER IBUs ABV Tony Interlude Saison 15 7% Don Sunshine Belgian Blonde 23 7.5% David Bananas Brown Fruit Ale 30 7.3% Jesse Buzz Zed Cider - 7.8% David Conanesque VPA 65 6.1% Paul CASMO IPA - 6.8% Steve H Pine Tree IPA Lots 7% Ron Senior Smiley IPA 62 6.5% Derek Schaberg Porter 30 5.5% David P Milk Stout 27 6.5% Adam White Chocolate Wheat Wine - 9.8% Guillaume Insomnie Stout 65 8% Derek German Barleywine 80 10%
Guillaume was kind enough to share his Mad Frenchman Ale Works Belgian Dubbel recipe:
=== Grist ===
75.9% Belgian Pilsner
3.4% Special B
6.9% Candi Syrup Inc D-90
6.9% Pilocillo Sugar
=== Hops ===
German Magnum (10.5% AA) 1g/L target 21.4 IBU @60min
German Tettnang (3.7% AA) 1.5g/L whirlpool 10min
=== Fining ===
1 whirlfloc @ 15min
=== Yeast ===
Wyeast 3522 / Belgian Ardennes
=== Mash Schedule ===
75min @ 65C
20min @ 70C
20min @ 77C
=== Fermentation ===
Pitch cool at 15C and let rise
Hold at 23C for 14 days
When final gravity is reached, crash cool to 2C and hold for 7 days
Thanks to Steins and everyone that showed up. See you next month!