For our May meeting, we discussed this year’s Santa Clara County Homebrew Competition. Then we tasted nine great homebrews. Thanks to Stein’s and everyone who showed up.
– We welcomed new members Adam and Remi. Welcome to the club!
– The 7th Annual Santa Clara Homebrew Competition will be held July 22. The Sudzers are co-organizing with the Grain Trust. For those interested in judging or stewarding, fill out the questionnaire at: https://forms.gle/rE9GPWEL97Yjyztz5 by June 16, 2023. For those who would like to enter the competition, details and the registration link are available at: https://bit.ly/418d60R
– The off flavor of the month was hydrogen sulphide (H2S) which gives beer a sulfury smell/flavor. Thanks to Mikael for putting this together.
– The used brewing equipment that was donated to the club last month was distributed to those who wanted any of it.
– The beers we tasted:
|Brewer||Beer Name||Beer Style||IBUs||ABV||Brewer Notes|
|Mikael||One week saison||Saison||45||5||80F fast fermentation|
|Kevin s||IPL||India Pale Lager||44||5.5|
|Stephan||El Citra||Cold IPA||6.8||El Dorado and Citra|
|TimT||Thiolized Cold IPA||Cold IPA||62||6||Lunar Crush|
|Kevin s||Hazy IPA||Hazy IPA||39||6.8|
|Allen/Natan||Natan Hazy About This One||NE IPA – W/Thiols||47||7.2||Put Saaz in Mash and Thiol Yeast (Star Party)|
|Sebastian||MF Gold||Mixed Fermentation Sour||6.4|
|Sebastian||MF Red||Mixed Fermentation Sour||6.7|
– Remember, membership dues need to be made every calendar year. If you haven’t paid yet, then you can make a payment of $25 to Derek via paypal at firstname.lastname@example.org
– If you haven’t already, please join our Discord server at https://discord.gg/mBQ7smguu7. All official communication (meeting information, event information, etc.) will continue to go through the mailing list, but Discord provides us a convenient way to have smaller, quicker conversations, so we encourage you to join.
– All shared recipes can be found at https://sites.google.com/a/cloudyforecast.com/brewme/home. If you’d like to have your recipe shared on the site, then please email it in any format to email@example.com. Full info can be found at http://www.sudzers.org/?page_id=2910
– For a list of all upcoming competitions, check out the Worts of Wisdoms’ calendar: http://www.wortsofwisdom.org/calendar/upcoming-homebrewers-competitions/