For our August 14 meeting, we discussed the upcoming NCHF and the first off flavor of the month. Then we tasted eight great homebrews. Thanks to Stein’s and everyone who showed up!
– We discussed the upcoming Northern California Homebrewers Festival (more info at: https://nchfinfo.org/). This year’s NCHF will be September 16-17 in Dobbins. This is an annual festival that brings together hundreds of homebrewers and their homebrews. The Sudzers will have a booth at the festival. If you are planning on attending NCHF, please fill out the following form to let us know the details on what you’re planning on bringing. https://forms.gle/LrZfHvUsAmfjdSTx6.
– We also got an update on the results of the Annual Santa Clara County Fair Homebrew Competition which was hosted by the Sudzers and the Grain Trust in July. Congrats to the following Sudzers who won awards in the competition: Kevin Sinarle, 1st place British Strong Bitter; Sebastian Brisbois, 1st place Saison; and, Mikael Hakansson, 3rd place German Pils.
– The California State Homebrew Competition will be this November. The competition is being organized by DOZE. Entries can be registered 9/3-10/13. People who want to serve as judges or stewards can sign up starting 9/3. More details can be found at the competition website: https://castate.brewcompetition.com/
– The off flavor of the month that we tasted and discussed was Isoamyl acetate. Thanks to Mikael for putting this together!
– Announcement from Dan Heil: “If anybody wants to pick a bunch of Cascade Whole hops. My hop connection in Los Altos has her hops ready to pick. You need a 5′ ladder and scissors and a couple brown paper bags. You have to clip the cones off and leave the vine. I’m guessing you’ll get about 1-2 FULL brown grocery bags of hops. Previously I estimate these have been in the 2-4 %AA.” If you’re interested you can contact Dan at: firstname.lastname@example.org
– We’re still looking for volunteers to take over as Vice President, and Competition Guru. Please let me or any other current officer know if you’re interested in any of these positions.
– Remember, membership dues need to be made every calendar year. If you haven’t paid yet, then you can make a payment of $25 to Derek via paypal at email@example.com
– If you haven’t already, please join our Discord server at https://discord.gg/mBQ7smguu7. All official communication (meeting information, event information, etc.) will continue to go through the mailing list, but Discord provides us a convenient way to have smaller, quicker conversations, so we encourage you to join.
– All shared recipes can be found at https://sites.google.com/a/cloudyforecast.com/brewme/home. If you’d like to have your recipe shared on the site, then please email it in any format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Full info can be found at http://www.sudzers.org/?page_id=2910
– For a list of all upcoming competitions, check out the Worts of Wisdoms’ calendar: http://www.wortsofwisdom.org/calendar/upcoming-homebrewers-competitions/
The eight brews we had:
|Brewer||Beer Name||Beer Style||IBUs||ABV||Brewer Notes|
|Kevin||JAKs Strong Bitter||Strong Bitter||??||5.00%|
|Noah||Zombie 7||Beefy pale ale||~50||~7||US-05, Dry hopped with Lupoma Citra and Mosaic|
|Dan||New World IPA||IPA||53||6.60%||Malt: Great Western Pale, Munich, Xtal75, Bittering hop: Nugget, Late and Dryhop, Strata|
|Mikael||Dank & Fruity||IPA||52||6.60%||Voss Kveik|
|Noah||Vaderade: the Prequel||Flat RIS||meh||~12||Homindal Kveik; Citra and Idaho 7|
|Netanel||Kriek framboise||Golden sour with cherries||Sneak peak|