Sudzers CFO Derek W’s monthly column in the Los Altos Town Crier profiles Gordon-Biersch co-founder (and friend of the Sudzers) Dan Gordon and his new Wildcide hard cider
Related: Ron K’s wrap up of the Sudzers Gordon Biersch tour with Dan Gordon from 2014:
Hopefully everyone’s recovered from our first meeting of 2016! We saw a lot of new faces and got to drink some great homebrews, a cider, and even a limoncello.
– Derek took money for club dues. If you weren’t able to pay last night, you’ll be able to pay at any of the future meetings.
– Steve compiled a list of ideas for events and will send out a survey to the mailing-list where you can vote on the events you’d most like to see the Sudzers put on this year.
– No one at the meeting volunteered to brew at Freewheel’s 1st Annual Battle of Brew Clubs on January 24th, so if you’re interested, please speak up! You’ll get to meet members from other clubs, brew, and drink beer! What better way to spend a day?
In all, we had fourteen homebrews, a cider, and a limoncello.
BREWER(s) BEER IBUs ABV
Gerad & Tyler Hefeweizen 15 5.9%
Mikel & Bill Pilsner 42 5.6%
Derek H Belgian Golden 30 6%
Don Pale Ale 47 5.7%
Rob Saison - 6%
Gerad & Tyler Saison 15 7.9%
Jim Sorachi Ace Saison 35 7.5%
Jason Cider - 8%
Justin Smash IPA 58 6.2%
Rich Heretic's Evil Twin (recipe below) 44 7.3%
Jared Red IPA 110 5%
Gerad & Tyler Oatmeal Stout - 7%
Adam Chocolate Milk Stout - 7.9%
Charles Russian Imperial Stout 100 10.1%
Derek W Barrel Aged Barleywine lots 12%
Marc-Andrey Limoncello - 32%
Rich’s Evil Twin clone was well received, and he was nice enough to share the recipe:
11.5 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Munich I
12oz Crystal 40L
6oz Crystal 120L
6oz Pale chocolate malt
4.5 gallon strike water
Single infusion, target temp 152 degrees
60 minute mash
2g Calcium Chloride in mash
2g Gypsum in mash
Boil (90 minutes):
.25oz Columbus @ 60 min
.5oz Columbus @ 20 min
1 whirlfloc tablet @ 15 min
1 tsp yeast nutrient @ 15 min
1oz Amarillo @ 10 min
1oz Citra @ 10 min
1oz Amarillo @ 1 min
1oz Citra @ 1 min
2oz Columbus dry hop for 6 days
Thanks to Steins and everyone that showed up. See you next month!
Hello Sudzers! Our next meeting will be held at 4:00pm on Sunday, January 10th at Steins Beer Garden in Mountain View.
895 Villa Street
Mountain View, CA 94041
As a reminder, club dues are collected on a calendar year basis, so please bring $25 and arrive as close to 4:00 as possible if you would like to pay your 2016 dues. Becoming a paid member gets you a 10% discount at MoreBeer in Los Altos, as well as access to the special members-only events we do through the year.
– Collect dues
– Discuss what club activities (e.g., competitions, brewery tours, brew days, etc.) we want to have this year. We’ll most likely be sending out a survey to the mailing list after the meeting where you can vote on what activities you’d like to see this year.
– Homebrew evaluations. Remember, bring your recipe – club members will have lots of questions! Sign in your beer along with your name and statistics (IBU, ABV, etc.). The info is optional, but helpful in determining tasting order.
Let’s make 2016 the best yet!
Sudzers CFO Derek W’s latest monthly column from the Los Altos Town Crier:
Elections: Candidates are still needed for President/CEO, VP/COO, Treasurer/CFO, Secretary/Chief Communications Officer, Chief Technology Officer, and Chief Events Officer. Email Derek at derek dot wolfgram at gmail dot com by December 1 if you’re interested in running. Homebrewer of the Year nominations should also be submitted to Derek by the same date. Elections will be held at the December 12 Christmas party at Gary & Adrienne’s house.
- Dark Matter bottling day, to bottle 30 gallons of the Club’s Dark Matter Russian Imperial Stout for distribution to paid club members, will take place December 5 at Mike C’s house in Aptos. Time is still TBD.
- Christmas party will be December 12 at Gary & Adrienne’s house. The club will provide a turkey or ham, and sides will be potluck. The club jockey box will be set up if you want to bring kegs to share. There will also be a white elephant gift exchange – bring a beer-related gift under $15 to participate.
2016 meeting dates are set. We will be meeting the second Sunday of each month at 4 pm at Steins Beer Garden and Restaurant in Mountain View, with the exception of February, when we will meet on the 3rd Sunday due to schedule conflicts. Mark your calendar now for these dates:
The 2016 Christmas party date and location are TBD.
- Rob’s Bitter
- Charles Stevens’ Heretic wort/California Ale Yeast
- Jim’s Heretic wort/Abbey Ale Yeast
- Adam’s Saison with Hibiscus and Rose Hips
- Charles Stauss’s Porter
- Gary’s Porter with Blackberry
- Derek W’s After Dark Chocolate Stout
- Derek W’s Winter Warmer
- Rob’s Gluten Free American No-Barley Wine
- Marc André’s Citrawesome DIPA
Sudzers VP Derek W’s latest monthly column for the Los Altos Town Crier
Give thanks for delicious beer pairings fit for a turkey feast
It’s time to elect our next years club officers and vote for Homebrewer of the year.
All six officer positions will be contested this time around.
If you would like to register as a candidate for any of the above posts please email Derek at derek dot wolfgram at gmail dot com.
Nominations for homebrewer of the year award can also be sent to Derek. If you want to nominate a fellow homebrewer or yourself please email the Derek.
All candidates for the election and all nominations for the award must be in by December 1st. Please mark you calendars.
Voting for next years officers and the award will be held during the Christmas party.
The officers met this past Monday at Jim’s place and had discussion on the upcoming club events.
Nov club meeting – This will be on Nov 15th at 4PM at Steins beer garden.
Dark Matter bottling – Mike C has graciously accepted to host Sudzers to help bottle Dark Matter that has been brewed these past few years. Based on our calculation we should have 162 bombers of Dark Matter (HOLY SHIT!!!!). The bottling is scheduled for Dec 5th. More details will be posted in a seperate email. Please mark your calendars if you wish to join.
Christmas party – Gary & Adrain have graciously accepted to host this year’s christmas party at their place. The party will be on Dec 12th. The party will be potluck with members bringing in appetizers and dessert. The club will provide the entree. Please mark you calendar for Dec 12th. More details will follow as we get closer to the event.
The above events will also be discussed in greater detail at the upcoming club meeting on Nov 15th.
Meeting was held on Oct 18th at Steins Beer Garden at 4PM.
Club Activity Reports:
Sudzer tent @ NCHF this year – Pranab
AHA Rally at Heretic – Charles
Christmas party was briefly discussed and more announcements will be made after the officer meeting on Nov 2nd.
November Thirsty Third Thursday – Smoke Eaters @ Mercado (Nov 19th)
Jared – Saison
Jim W – Evil Twin Clone
Rich K – Deschutes Inversion IPA Clone
Charles – IPA
Charles – Belgian Golden