For our October 9th meeting, we discussed an upcoming visit to Alpa Acid Brewing in Belmont and the annual end of the year party. In addition, Stepan Piotrowski gave a presentation on Black IPAs. Then we tasted six great homebrews. Thanks to Stein’s and everyone who showed up!
– Alpha Acid Brewing would like to have the Sudzers over for a visit to their brewery in Belmont and give us a presentation on what they are doing with thiol producing yeasts. The visit will be on Sunday, November 6 in the afternoon. More details to follow.
– Some of the employees at Steins have asked the Sudzers to show them how to homebrew. Robert C. will follow up with them to set up a date.
– The off flavor of the month that we sampled and discussed was Isovaleric acid. Thanks to Mikael for putting this together!
– Stephan Piotrowski gave a presentation on the Black IPAs, covering the history, BJCP guidelines, and ingredients for the style. (Available at: http://www.sudzers.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/Black-IPA-Sudzers-Talk-20221009.pdf) At next month’s meeting we will be tasting the Black IPAs people have made.
– We will have our end of the year party at Clandestine Brewing. Details to follow.
– The California State Homebrew Competition will be this November. Entries can be submitted until 10/13. People can also sign up to serve as judges or stewards. More details can be found at the competition website: https://castate.brewcompetition.com/
– The beers we tasted:
|bill p||Cosmic plum ale||fruit ale||0||5.9|
|Alex||Hazy kiwi||Hazy ipa||27||5.5|
|kevin||JAKs Strong Bitter V2||strong bitter||50||6.5|
|Stephan||Mowgli’s Black Cat IPA||Black IPA||45||6.9|
– Remember, membership dues need to be made every calendar year. If you haven’t paid yet, then you can make a payment of $25 to Derek via paypal at email@example.com
– If you haven’t already, please join our Discord server at https://discord.gg/mBQ7smguu7. All official communication (meeting information, event information, etc.) will continue to go through the mailing list, but Discord provides us a convenient way to have smaller, quicker conversations, so we encourage you to join.
– All shared recipes can be found at https://sites.google.com/a/cloudyforecast.com/brewme/home. If you’d like to have your recipe shared on the site, then please email it in any format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Full info can be found at http://www.sudzers.org/?page_id=2910
– For a list of all upcoming competitions, check out the Worts of Wisdoms’ calendar: http://www.wortsofwisdom.org/calendar/upcoming-homebrewers-competitions/